Beginning with ISESteroids version 2.3, there is support for vertical guidelines. Vertical guidelines stretch across the entire height of your script display and help align text, limit lines to a maximum length, and get organized across multi page scripts.
Watch a quick video or read the walk-through below:
Vertical Guide Types
There are three types of vertical guide lines you can choose to display:
- Temporary Guidelines: press SHIFT+CTRL+G to show a temporary vertical guideline at the current caret position. Temporary guidelines are per script. They remain visible until you toggle them, set a new temporary guideline at a different column position, or close the script.
- Temporary guidelines are useful to keep an eye on a given column across a large script, for example.
- Permanent Guidelines: they can be set to any column position you want and are valid for all open scripts. The most common use case is to set a permanent guide line to get reminded when code lines are getting too long to be readable.
- Indentation Guidelines: they visualize the current indentation settings. When you change indentation settings, i.e. the indentation size, these guidelines automatically realign, too.
Managing Vertical Guidelines
Temporary Guidelines can be managed by a keyboard shortcut: use SHIFT+CTRL+G to toggle them. The other vertical guidelines have no specific keyboard shortcut. You manage them by clicking the vertical guideline toolbar button:
When you click or right-click this button, a context menu opens and gives you a number of choices:
- Temporary Guide: this toggles the temporary guideline. If the caret is on a column with a temporary guideline, this option is checked, and when you click it, the guideline is removed. If the caret is on a column with no temporary guideline, a new temporary guideline is added, and a previously existing guideline is removed. There can only be one temporary guideline at a time.
- Global Guide: this opens a dialog where you can enter the column position at which you would like to display a permanent guideline. Leave the input box blank, or click “Cancel”, to remove a permanent guideline. Note that permanent guidelines are global and affect all open editors. They also persist, so when you restart ISESteroids, the global guideline is still there.
- Indentation Guides: when checked, all indentation steps are visualized by a vertical guide. You can click “Indentation Settings” to change the indentation size and type.
- Turn Off All Guides: this option is available whenever any type of vertical guide is visible, and disables them all. It is a quick way for you to remove all vertical guides at once.